what must a good authoring tool provide ? (1-3)
- it must produce correct HTML
- it must support style sheets
- it must provide means to ensure a consistent corporate design
while we will discuss what might be a good website after the coffe break,
i'd like to list a number of features that i think a good authoring tool should provide right now.
some of these features may directly influence the quality of a website, while others may primarily
be of interest for the author.
- it might seem obvious that such a tool should produce correct HTML code, but some of the very popular tools actually produce very bad HTML code, e.g. Microsoft FrontPage.
- support for style sheets will be crucial in the future. today, the popular browsers may not yet fully support style sheets, but this will change soon (hopefully !)
- a consistant design becomes more and more important. a good authoring tool should help to maintain a consistant design with features such as include files at publishing time etc.